The Local Council Award Scheme (LCAS) has been designed to celebrate the successes of the very best local councils and to provide a framework to support all local councils to improve and develop to meet their full potential.
The scheme offers councils the opportunity to show that they meet the standards set by the sector, assessed by their peers, and to put in place the conditions for continued improvement.
The scheme has been designed to provide the tools and encouragement to those councils at the beginning of their improvement journeys, as well as promoting and recognising councils that are at the cutting edge of the sector.
It is only through the sector working together, to share best practice, drive up standards and supporting those who are committed to improving their offer to their communities that individual councils and the sector as a whole will reach its full potential.
LCAS undergoes a review every year. Local councils must meet the criteria of the guidance that is in place at the date they submit their completed application form to their local accreditation panel.
There is a range of reasons why a council could benefit from taking part in the award scheme.
- For those councils who are already confident that they perform to a high standard the scheme provides assurance to the council that it is up-to-date and progressive by the standards set by the sector.
- For those who wish to improve, it provides a framework to plan and make the first steps. Helping the council improve performance and confidence, with policies in place for continuous development.
- And for all councils winning the award should be a celebration for councillors and officers, as their commitment and hard work are recognised and respected.
- An award is a tool that councils can use when working with the local community or other local partners. Giving them confidence that the council is delivering to a national professional standard.
- And finally, the scheme will contribute to the national reputation of local councils demonstrating achievements and a commitment to improvement.